Friday, December 12, 2014

Upper Wings #5

OX-5 cylinders with fresh nickel plating
To start things out, I got all the cylinders back from the plater.  Now all of them have a nice covering of nickel plating.  You can refer to a post I did this past October that explains the Watts nickel plating process used on these.

Next on the OX-5, while I'm waiting on the babbitt work, is to finish up the cylinders.  They don't need much.  The guides are a little sloppier than I like and will be sleeving those.  Stay tuned for a post on that.





Rib glue blocks installed - 1/4" triangular spruce.  The shiney spots
is varnish that has been applied that will be underneath the fittings.



Mostly it's been lots of wing work.  The pictures pretty much tell the story...












All the ribs glued in place

Varnish applied and all the fittings installed

















I can already tell that doing both wings at the same time will be a big time saver.  I'll be adding the drag/anti-drag wires next, then the trailing edge and leading edge ribs.  Stay tuned to the same "Bat Channel" for an update in a week or so!



No comments:

Post a Comment