Friday, December 19, 2014

Upper Wings #6

Well, I got everything done mentioned in my last post.

First, I made all the bracing wires, painted them, installed them and trimmed each wing.


 I then got the nose ribs installed - lots of them!  38 on each wing!  That's Chuck Connors as the Rifleman on the TV in the background.  Chuck often keeps the hangar free of outlaws.













Then, the trailing edge ribs.  These go a lot quicker, not as many since this is a 4 aileron airplane.  

The upper wings are notched above the rear cockpit to make getting in and out easier.  That is why the 4 ribs at the root of the wing are shorter than the rest.


Next, I have to install the capstrips.  I had to order the 3/16" by 5/8" spruce material.  I doubt it will be here before Christmas, but that's OK.  Our Son is coming home from the Army, and there will be lots of family events going on.  I brought a couple of projects home to keep plugging away as time permits:  I'm restoring the ignition harness (I'll create a post on it) and I pulled all the studs from the OX-5 crankcase and applying new black oxide for corrosion protection.

Merry Christmas everyone - hope you all have a blessed holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment