Saturday, April 9, 2016

Curtiss OX-5 Installation

It sure is nice to finally see the mighty OX-5 on the airframe - at least temporarily until I start covering.  The engine had to go on now to fabricate and run all the controls, fuel lines, etc.

It wasn't without issues, though.  I mentioned in the last post I was having problems with the engine mount.  Well, I ended up having to make another one.  I hate redoing things, but it just wasn't going to be right, no matter how much I tried.  The fixture I used to build the mount was based on factory dimensions, but it just didn't match up well with this particular airframe.  I really should have known better from the start.  Who knows how much hand-building went into these airplanes - there could be lots of variations.  So, I did what I should have done from the start - built it right on the airframe.
Fixture used to build new mount

Final check of fit after welding
Check out this contraption!  Here's what I did:  I made a frame from angle iron to hold the front plate, U-channels, and wood beams.  Then leveled this laterally and longitudinally, made sure there was no twist diagonally, and that it ran down the centerline of the airframe.  Then it was a matter of cutting and welding the tubing in place.








Much better outcome!  Unlike OJ Simpson - it fit like a glove.  Here you can see the fit being checked with the old wood mounting beams.  All 0.0 degrees with the electronic level - Nice!












After a coat of epoxy primer

View of front mounting plate
 Then it got a coat of epoxy primer and will eventually be painted black.
New oak wood engine mounting beams

Getting ready to set the engine in place

Finally installed!

































Andy had made new oak engine mounting beams some time back.  I just had to re-sand them after sitting for so many years and apply a couple coats of epoxy varnish.  They look great.











Then I was time to set the engine up on the beams.  It will be on for the next couple of months as I make/run all the controls.



























ELT installation

ELT antenna
Got some other things done too... one of the most annoying and frustrating requirements for those of us flying vintage airplanes is the need for an ELT - completely worthless in my opinion!

I don't get too carried away with these.  I go as cheap and minimal on the installation that I can get by with - just enough to meet the requirements of the TSO and FAA regulations. 

I mounted the ELT in an access panel on the belly of the airframe near the tail.  I then added a bracket to mount the antenna inverted inside the fuselage.  I always put the antennas inside.  Would not want to see that ugly thing on a 90 year old airplane!




















So now, I'm working on new throttle linkages. The next post should cover the fabrication and installation of those.  Check back soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment