Thursday, March 10, 2016

Fuselage Paint

It's been nice to get back on some airframe work again.  It was time to remove everything from the fuselage that I had installed for fit-up, and prep for paint.


Rear seat belt mount



One last thing to install, though, permanent seat belt mounts.

The original ones were installed with hardened steel wires and ferrules, just like the drag/anti-drag wires in the wings.  I wanted something a little more permanent, so I welded in tabs made from .100" 4130.





Front seat belt mount












The fuselage could then be rolled 
into the paint booth for final color!  I had primed the tubing with red DP epoxy primer last year.  It just required a good scuffing up and wipe-down.  For paint, I've had good luck in the past with polyurethane, but I like to add a little flattening agent to lower the gloss.  I'm just not a big fan of glossy paint on 90 year-old airplanes.  A lot of people like to powder coat, but I think it's overkill on an airplane that will never see any inclement weather, and this method is way cheaper.


 This is a pretty exciting step.  From now on, everything installed stays there forever (or until it's restored again 90 years from now!)


With that done, I'm moving on to the engine mount.  It was bent up in the accident.  The only part I'm re-using is the front plate - a heavy, complicated shape that is salvageable.  This is the last major part to fabricate - hooray!

Original engine mount
The next post will probably be on the mount.  I've been off school all week for spring break and have a good chunk of it done.  Also, the birds are singing, temps in the 60's, time to do a little flying too!

No comments:

Post a Comment