Thursday, October 9, 2014

Nickel Plating on the OX-5

As I've mentioned in previous posts, all the steel components, including most of the hardware on the OX-5 was nickel plated.  The aluminum parts, i.e. crankcase, sump, intake tubes, etc. were left natural aluminum.  Makes for a beautiful engine when properly done.

Research indicates the original process used was Watts nickel plating.  This particular method of plating was developed in 1916 by Oliver Watts.  Makes sense, as these engines were built just a few short years after that date.  The Watts nickel plating bath uses:

  • nickel chloride
  • nickel sulfate
  • boric acid
Plated parts look very different from what most people think of with nickel plating.  The parts have a very dull, silvery, gray look to them.  

The Watts nickel bath is still very popular today for nickel plating, but with the addition of brighteners and other additives.  This gives the nickel its characteristic shiny, chrome-like appearance which most people want.  Unfortunately, not too many platers even offer the basic Watts process anymore as it is just not very desirable.

Armed with all this information, I prepared a cylinder to take to my plater (that is only about 15 miles from my house!)  I explained to him the original process was Watts nickel and his reply was - "I can do Watts."  He said he uses the original Watts process on aluminum parts that will be chrome plated.  The nickel apparently provides a better base for the chrome.  He said he normally does not like to do steel parts in this bath as it will contaminate it, but agreed to do my parts.  I was jumping for joy inside - here's a plater, only 15 miles from my house, doing a very old plating process that very few shops do anymore.  Some things just seem to work out nicely!






Here are some shots of the final product.  I have OX-5 parts that still have the original plating and these are a perfect match.  So now I need to get the other cylinders and parts ready for plating.  My plater wants to do all the parts at the same time to reduce contamination of his nickel bath.  

I'm also starting on valve guide re-work.  I'm preparing tooling and fixtures and will put in a detailed post once I have things figured out.  In the meantime, I've got a good start on the LH upper wing and will put in a post soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment