Friday, October 3, 2014

October 3rd Update


The lower LH wing is done - fully assembled, trammed and varnished!!  So now it's on to the top wings.  Once I start, I'll post more photos since the construction will be a little different.  The upper wings have no center section, they simply bolt together in the middle.  Andy and Dennis are busy making all the ribs - they are a great help and time-saver!

















Crankshaft mounted in Magnaflux machine







 I got a little more accomplished on the OX-5... I was finally able to Magnaflux the crankshaft, cam, and connecting rods.  Everything came out good.  That being done, in 2 weeks I'm taking parts to my babbitt guy for the bearing work.













Re-wound Berling magneto coil


I sent out the coil/armature from the Berling magneto several months ago and just got it back.  The original coil looked fine, and even tested good, but I was told it probably would not have lasted long.  I am glad I decided to get it re-wound.  A new condenser was installed too.  Final assembly will be a good winter project.

My nickel plater has the cylinder done he wanted to experiment with.  I'll pick it up next week, put in a photo and talk about it in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment